Tuesday, January 22, 2019

How To FIRE Your Doctor!

I've heard horrible stories about black people in urban cities like Chicago being mistreated by their doctors. I want you to know that as a patient you have rights. Under no circumstances should you tolerate your doctor fat shaming you, talking down to you, embarrassing you...disrespecting you.

The aforementioned happens alot amongst black patients in poor Chicago communities such as Austin, Lawndale, Garfield Park, Humboldt Park, Roseland, Englewood, Woodlawn, Auburn Gresham. The sad thing is it's getting worse.

Here's the good news! As a patient you have the legal right to 🚫FIRE🚫 your doctor. You have the right to switch doctors. You have the right to report your doctor to hospital management. You also have the right to file several complaints against your doctor as well. The black community in cities like Chicago don't need nor want discriminatory doctors mistreating us. We will no longer tolerate it!


Below are a few steps relative to firing your doctor! Stop being disrespected. It's time you stand up for yourself. You have rights. You have the power. No matter how poor you are - you are SOMEBODY! And you deserve respect. 

File a complaint with hospital management. It's important you understand you do not need to fire your doctor in his/her presence. You can fire your doctor verbally, followed up with a written letter to hospital management. 

File a complaint with the Illinois State Medical Board. Tell them you want to file a complaint against your doctor. If they decide to investigate the matter and find that there is merit to your complaint, they may temporarily revoke your doctor's license. Call 888-473-4858. Send letter to: Illinois State Medical Board, 100 West Randolph, 9th Floor, Chicago, IL. 60601. You can also click the below link:

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Specify the dates and details of your negative experiences. While the Better Business Bureau cannot force your doctor to change, it can warn other consumers of patient grievances against him. Call 312-832-0500. Send letter to: BBB of Chicago and Northern Illinois, 330 N. Wabash, Suite 3120, Chicago, IL 60611. You can also click below link:

File a complaint with the American Medical Association to see if your doctor is currently a member. Find your doctor's status by visiting the "Doctor Finder" section of the site. If your doctor's name is listed, then you can file a complaint in writing to American Medical Association, Attn: Ethics Group, 515 N. State Street, Chicago, IL, 60610, requesting that they do an investigation. You might also call their toll-free telephone number, 800-621-8335, to verify they received your complaint and ask if you need to take any additional steps. You can also click below link:

Be sure to also rate your doctor online. Websites such as www.HealthGrades.com allow consumers to report bad performances by their doctors and to rate the caliber of medical services.

No more abuse. No more feeling sad. No more feeling helpless. You have the right and legal power to fire your doctor at any moment and demand another doctor who'll treat you with respect and dignity! 

Jim Allen